Being active makes a person healthy and strong. It is not just for people who have a weight problem but for everyone who likes to stay fit.
There are 5 simple things you can do, to stay healthy.
- Avoid smoking and smokers
- Eat right and keep your BMI (Body Mass Index) at 18,5 – 24,8
- Try to avoid drinking alcohol
- Exercise daily
- Sleep right
Exercising is very important for human health and has proven to be a good cure for many well-known deceases.
Also Read: List of Important Questions Related to Medical Genetics and Genomics
Check out these 60+ interesting facts about our health and body.
1. Human teeth are just as strong as shark teeth.
2. When you are looking at someone you love, your pupils dilate. They do the same when you look at someone you hate.
3. The human head is one-quarter of our total length at birth, but only one-eighth of our total length by the time we reach adulthood.
4. Your body gives off enough heat in 30 minutes to bring half a gallon of water to a boil.
5. Blondes have more hair. The average human head has 100,000 hair follicles, each of which is capable of producing 20 individual hairs during a person’s lifetime. Blondes average 146,000 follicles. People with black hair tend to have about 110,000 follicles; those with brown hair have 100,000 follicles. Redheads have the least dense hair, averaging about 86,000 follicles.
6. In a lifetime, the average person produces about 25,000 quarts of saliva, enough to fill two swimming pools.
7. The human brain cell can hold 5 times as much information as the Encyclopedia Britannica.
8. The chances of getting a cavity is higher if candy is eaten slowly throughout the day compared to eating it all at once and then brushing your teeth.
9. Gardening is said to be one of the best exercises for maintaining healthy bones.
10. At the moment of conception, you spend about half an hour as a single cell.
11. Although the outsides of a bone are hard, inside, they are generally light and soft because the are composed of about 75% water.
12. There are about 60,000 miles of blood vessels in the human body.
Suggested Read: Common Terms Related To Health Psychology
13. Three years after a person quits smoking, there chance of having a heart attack is the same as someone who has never smoked before.
14. Your nose can remember 50,000 different scents.
15. The average woman is 5 inches shorter than the average man.
16. One uses 200 muscles to take one step.
17. It is not possible to tickle yourself. The cerebellum, a part of the brain, warns the rest of the brain that you are about to tickle yourself. Since your brain knows this, it ignores the resulting sensation.
18. By donating just one pint of blood, four lives can be saved.
19. Women have approximately 4.5 liters of blood in their bodies, while men have 5.6 liters.
20. Women blink twice as often as men.
21. The heart pumps about 2,000 gallons of blood through those vessels every day.
22. In a lifetime, the heart pumps about one million barrels of blood.
23. Once a human reaches the age of 35, he/she will start losing approximately 7,000 brain cells a day. The cells will never be replaced.
24. Your brain is 80% water.
25. The largest cell in the human body is the female egg and the smallest is the male sperm.
26. Scientists say the higher your I.Q. , the more you dream.
27. The width of your arm span stretched out is the length of your whole body.
28. One gets a new stomach lining every three to four days. If you didn’t, the strong acids your stomach uses to digest food would also digest your stomach.
29. Men without hair on their chests are more likely to get cirrhosis of the liver than men with hair.
30. Women are twice as likely to be diagnosed with depression as men in the United States.
31. People who ride on roller coasters have a higher chance of having a blood clot in the brain.
32. People who suffer from gum disease are twice as likely to have a stroke or heart attack.
33. From all the oxygen that a human breathes, twenty percent goes to the brain.
34. The number one cause of blindness in adults in the United States is diabetes.
35. The acid in your stomach is strong enough to dissolve razor blades.
36. Every day the human stomach produces about 2 liters of hydrochloric acid.
37. Your brain is move active and thinks more at night than during the day.
38. The average person walks the equivalent of twice around the world in a lifetime.
39. The reason why your nose gets runny when you are crying is because the tears from the eyes drain into the nose.
40. The highest recorded speed of a sneeze is 165 km per hour.
41. It is impossible to sneeze with your eyes open.
42. A study indicates that smokers are likely to die on average six and a half years earlier than non-smokers. A person who smokes a pack of cigarettes a day will, on average, lose two teeth every ten years.
43. People that smoke have 10 times as many wrinkles as a person that does not smoke.
44. Eighty percent of 10 year old girls in the USA go on a diet.
45. The average person laughs about 15 times a day.
46. About 10% of the world’s population is left-handed.
47. It takes more muscles to frown than it does to smile.
48. Eating chocolate three times a month helps people live longer as opposed to people who overeat chocolate or do not eat chocolate at all.
49. Kissing can aid in reducing tooth decay. This is because the extra saliva helps in keeping the mouth clean.
50. Studies indicate that listening to music is good for digestion.
Also Read: 80 Important Medical And Health Related Terms You Need to Know
51. Scientists say that babies that are breastfed are more likely to be slimmer as adults than those that are not breastfed.
52. Children who are breastfed tend to have an IQ seven points higher than children who are not.
53. The risk of cardiovascular disease is twice as high in women that snore regularly compared to women who do not snore.
54.. While sleeping, one man in eight snores, and one in ten grinds his teeth.
55. Lack of sleep can affect your immune system and reduce your ability to fight infections.
56. The average person has at least seven dreams a night.
57. The average person falls asleep in about 12 to 14 minutes.
58. It has been medically been proven that laughter is an effective pain killer.
59. On average, a man spends about five months of his life shaving.
60. Over 90% of diseases are caused or complicated by stress.
61. When a women is pregnant, her senses are all heightened
62. A pregnant woman’s dental health can affect her unborn child.
63. One out of 20 people have an extra rib.
64. A headache and inflammatory pain can be reduced by eating 20 tart cherries.
65. Studies have shown that the scent of Rosemary can help in better mental performance and make individuals feel more alert.
66. The vocabulary of the average person consists of 5,000 to 6,000 words..
67. The first known contraceptive was crocodile dung, used by Egyptians in 2000 B.C.
68. Each year in America there are about 300,000 deaths that can be attributed to obesity.