Mudras are hand gestures or positions that have been practiced in ancient Indian traditions like yoga and Ayurveda for thousands of years. These mudras are believed to have the power to influence the flow of energy in the body and stimulate various parts of the brain. By practicing specific mudras, one can experience incredible health benefits. In this article, we will explore ten important mudras that can result in amazing health benefits.
- Gyan Mudra – Mudra of Knowledge
- Prithvi Mudra – Mudra of Earth
- Varuna Mudra – Mudra of Water
- Vayu Mudra – Mudra of Air
- Shunya Mudra – Mudra of Emptiness
- Surya Mudra – Mudra of the Sun
- Prana Mudra – Mudra of Life
- Apana Mudra – Mudra of Digestion
- Apana Vayu Mudra – Mudra of the Heart
- Linga Mudra – Mudra of Heat and Energy
1. Gyan Mudra – Mudra of Knowledge:
The Gyan Mudra is formed by joining the index finger and thumb while keeping the other fingers extended. This mudra is believed to enhance concentration, memory, and knowledge. It is also known to promote a calm and meditative state of mind.
Method: Touch the tip of the thumb to the tip of the index finger, with the other three fingers stretched out.
Specialty: As it is a mudra of knowledge, it enhances the knowledge. The tip of thumb has centers of pituitary and endocrine glands. When we press these centers by index finger the two glands work actively.
Time duration: There is no particular time duration for this mudra. You can practice by sitting, standing or lying on bed whenever and wherever you have time.
- Increases memory power and sharpens the brain
- Enhances concentration and prevents Insomnia
- If we practice it regularly, it will cure all psychological disorders like Mental, Hysteria, Anger and Depression
2. Prithvi Mudra – Mudra of Earth:
By touching the tip of the ring finger to the tip of the thumb, the Prithvi Mudra is formed. This mudra is associated with the earth element and is believed to improve physical strength, boost the immune system, and increase vitality. It can also help in reducing fatigue and promoting a sense of stability.
Method: Tip of the ring finger touches the tip of the thumb, with the other three fingers stretched out.
Specialty: It reduces all physical weaknesses.
Time Duration: It has no particular time duration. You can practice it any time you want.
- It helps to increase the weight for weak people
- It improves the complexion of skin and makes the skin to glow
- It makes the body active by keeping it healthy
3. Varuna Mudra – Mudra of Water:
The Varuna Mudra is created by touching the tip of the little finger to the tip of the thumb. This mudra is associated with the water element and is believed to balance the water content in the body. It can help in relieving dehydration, dryness of the skin, and promoting overall moisture balance.
Method: Tip of little finger touches the tip of thumb, with the other three fingers stretched out.
Specialty: It balances the water content and prevents all diseases which come due to lack of water.
Time Duration: It has no specific time duration and one can practice it according to their time.
- It retains clarity in blood by balancing water content in the body
- Prevents the pains of Gastroenteritis and Muscle Shrinkage
4. Vayu Mudra – Mudra of Air:
Formed by bending the index finger and placing the thumb over its base, the Vayu Mudra is associated with the air element. This mudra is believed to alleviate excessive air or gas-related issues in the body. It can help in reducing bloating, flatulence, and joint pain caused by air imbalance.
Method: Keep the index finger on the base of the thumb and press with thumb keeping the other three fingers straight.
Specialty: It prevents all the diseases that occur due to the imbalance of the air.
Time Duration: The practice of this mudra for 45 minutes reduces the severity of the disease in 12 to 24 hours. For better results practice it for two months.
- It cures Rheumatism, Arthritis, Gout, Parkinson’s disease and paralysis without any medicine
- It is useful for Cervical Spondilytis, paralysis to face and catching of nerve in neck
- It corrects the disorder of gas in the stomach
5. Shunya Mudra – Mudra of Emptiness:
The Shunya Mudra is created by bending the middle finger and pressing it down with the thumb. This mudra is believed to have a positive effect on the ears and is often practiced for ear-related problems like tinnitus and vertigo. It may also help in enhancing intuition and self-awareness.
Method: Keep the middle finger at the mount of Venus and press it with thumb.
Specialty: It reduces the dullness in our body.
Time Duration: One can practice it for 40 to 60 minutes daily until to be cured from the disease.
- It relieves an earache within 4 or 5 minutes
- It is useful for the deaf and mentally challenged, but not for inborn ones.
6. Surya Mudra – Mudra of the Sun:
Formed by bending the ring finger and pressing it down with the thumb, the Surya Mudra is associated with the fire element and the sun. This mudra is believed to increase warmth in the body and stimulate metabolism. It can help in boosting digestion, reducing cholesterol levels, and promoting weight loss.
Method: Bend the ring finger and press it with thumb.
Specialty: It sharpens the center in thyroid gland.
Time Duration: Practice it daily twice for 5 to 15 minutes.
- It reduces cholesterol in body and helps in reducing weight
- It reduces anxiety
- It corrects indigestion problems
7. Prana Mudra – Mudra of Life:
The Prana Mudra is created by touching the tip of the thumb with the tips of the ring finger and little finger while keeping the other fingers extended. This mudra is believed to enhance vitality, boost the immune system, and improve the overall energy level of the body. It can also aid in reducing tiredness and promoting general well-being.
Method: Bend ring finger and little finger and touch the tip of thumb with their tips keeping the remaining two fingers stretched.
Specialty: As it is the mudra of life, it improves the power of life. Weak people become strong. It reduces the clamps in blood vessels. If we practice it regularly, we will become active.
Time Duration: No specific time duration. One can practice it any time.
- It improves immunity
- Improves the power of eyes and reduces eye related diseases
- It removes the vitamin deficiency and fatigue
8. Apana Mudra – Mudra of Digestion:
By joining the tips of the thumb, middle finger, and ring finger, the Apana Mudra is formed. This mudra is associated with the elimination of waste and toxins from the body. It can help in improving digestion, relieving constipation, and regulating the excretory system.
Method: The tips of middle finger and ring finger touch the tip of thumb while the other two fingers are stretched out.
Specialty: It plays an important role in our health as it regulates the excretory system.
Time Duration: Practice it daily for 45 minutes, but practice for longer time yields more benefits.
- It regulates diabetes
- It cures constipation and piles
- It helps excreting the normal waste regularly
9. Apana Vayu Mudra – Mudra of the Heart:
The Apana Vayu Mudra is created by joining the tips of the thumb, middle finger, and ring finger while keeping the index finger extended and the little finger folded. This mudra is believed to support heart health by regulating blood pressure, reducing palpitations, and improving blood circulation. It can also promote emotional balance and reduce anxiety and stress.
Method: The tips of the middle finger and ring finger touch the tip of thumb, while the index finger touches the base of thumb and little finger stretched out.
Specialty: It benefits the heart. It works like injection in the reduction of heart attack. It is as powerful as sorbitate tablet. It reduces the gas content in body.
Time Duration: Practice it as many times as you can. Heart patients and BP patients can practice it for 15 minutes daily twice for better results.
- It strengthens the heart and regularizes palpitation
- It regulates excretory system
- It redeems gastric trouble
10. Linga Mudra – Mudra of Heat and Energy:
The Linga Mudra is formed by interlocking the fingers of both hands and keeping the thumb of the left hand pointing upward, enclosed by the right hand. This mudra is associated with generating heat and increasing energy levels in the body. It can be beneficial in boosting the immune system, improving vitality, and providing relief from cold and respiratory issues.
Method: Interlock the fingers of both the hands and keep the thumb of the left hand vertically straight and encircle it with the thumb and the index finger of the right hand.
Specialty: It generates heat in our body. Take milk, ghee, more water and fruit juices in addition to practice of this mudra for much benefits.
Time Duration: Practice it any time you want. But don’t practice it a lot as it produces heat in the body.. It can cause sweating even in winter if you practice it longer.
- It stops production of phlegm and gives power to lungs
- It cures severe cold and bronchial infection
- It invigorates the body
It is important to note that while practicing these mudras, it is recommended to sit in a comfortable position, preferably in a quiet and peaceful environment. It is best to practice mudras on an empty stomach or after a gap of at least 30 minutes after a meal. Consistency and regularity in practicing these mudras can yield the best results.
Mudras can be practiced individually or as part of a larger yoga or meditation practice. They are simple yet powerful tools that can be incorporated into daily routines to promote overall health and well-being. However, it is essential to consult with a qualified yoga instructor or healthcare professional before starting any new practice, especially if you have any existing medical conditions.
In conclusion, the practice of mudras can offer amazing health benefits by influencing the energy flow in the body and stimulating various aspects of physical and mental well-being. From enhancing concentration and knowledge to improving digestion and vitality, these mudras provide a holistic approach to health and healing. So, why not explore the power of mudras and incorporate them into your daily routine for a healthier and more balanced life?You may also like:
- Low GI Alcohol and Healthy Food Choices for Sustainable Weight Loss
- Effective Quick Weight Loss Tips for a Healthier You
- Understanding Back Pain – When to Seek Medical Attention and Considerations for Relief
- A Week-Long Meal Plan for Heart Disease Reversal
- 7 Reasons Why Smoking is Even More Hazardous for Diabetics
- The Crucial Role of Protein in Achieving Effective Fat Loss
- 5 Tips to Reduce Depression and Cultivate a Positive Mindset
- 10 Killer Tips For Rapid Weight Loss
- Prostate Health Diet – Essential Nutrients to Reduce Enlarged Prostate
- The Bitter Truth – How Sugar Can Decrease Your Immunity Dramatically